Visit to RBI Monetary Museum
Students of S.Y. B. Sc. visited to RBI Monetary Museum on 4th October 2018. It houses extensive collection of coins, notes and historical facts about the financial revolution in India. The visit started with a AV on the history of money in India from 1700-2000. This was followed by a briefing on the museum by the curator Dr. Radhakrishnan.
Intra-College Debate, 2018
The Debate Society of SAMSOE held its first debate for the academic year 2018-19 which witnessed enthused participation of 14 teams, making it a total of 28 students striving to justify their stances on topics of social and economic relevance.
The debate was conducted in slots of two at two separate venues. Teams of Slot-1 were judged by Ms. Sneha Thayyil and Mr. Akshat Kundalia. The motions for this slot were:
• The House Believes economic blockade is more effective than military intervention
• The House Believes that dictatorship is the way to stabilize struggling countries
• The House Believes that the governments of developing nations should actively promote slum tourism
• The House would legalize the market for organs
Teams of Slot-2 were judged by Mr. Rohit Muraleedharan and Mr. Hersch Sahay. The motions set for this slot were:
• The House Believes the government has no right to make CSR compulsory
• The House Believes that universal basic income is the safety net of the future
• The House Believes that a universal minimum standard of education is a prerequisite for democracy
• The House Believes in the right to bear arms for self-defense
After the final scoring by the judges, the results laid out the names of the winners in the two slots:
Best Speaker- Aditya Bihani (FY)
Team: 1st- Aditya Bihani and Radhika Mohta (FY)
2nd- Anirudh Choudhary (SY A) and Krish Verma (FY)
Best Speaker- Rohit Harlalka (SY B)
Team: 1st- Rohit Harlalka and Shubhagata Agarwal (SY B)
2nd- Avi Mathur and Meet Mehta (SY A)
• Shastrarth – 2018 an Inter-Collegiate Debate Competition
NMIMS Sarla Anil Modi School of Economics hosted the 8th edition of its annual inter-collegiate debate Shastrarth on the 27th of September, 2018. With registrations from over 120 teams from all over the state.
The semi-final and final rounds of the debate were judged by Mr. Kevin Shah, Managing Director of Kevin Industries; Mr. Aditya Bawari, co-founder of Charcoal Eats; and Mrs. Shruti Dhawan Singh, soft skills expert with over 12 years of experience.
The topic for the final round was 'This house would prefer a world where wealthy individuals in Western liberal states donate money to their governments rather than to charities'. Pratham Ajmera and Puneet Pathak of the Kirit P. Mehta School of Law were the winning teams. Chinmaya Mohan (KPMSOL) and Neelomi Popat (Pravin Gandhi College of Law) were the Runner-ups.
The Best Speaker was awarded to Pratham Ajmera.
• Lecture by Mr Indi Seehra
40 students of F.Y. B. Sc. Economics attended the lecture of Mr Indi Seehra, HR, London School of Economics and Political Science on 10th September. The topic was Professional and Career Development.
• Finance GYM
Workshop on ‘Finance GYM’ as a part of the Financial Literacy Programme was conducted by Ms. Niyati Patel on 20th and 21st September 2018 for the S.Y. B. Sc. students.